Whether you are a long-time member or just signed up today, make sure you are taking advantage of all the program has to offer.
USING THE MADE IN MONTANA LOGO
Placing the logo on your products, signage, or marketing materials lets buyers know you are selling genuine products and you are proud to be Made in Montana. The program encourages consumers to choose products with labels through a coordinated marketing campaign of direct advertising, social media, other innovative ideas.
Producers can purchase low-cost logo labels or use the electronic image to print the logo directly on product packaging. Retail stores, distributors, and restaurants are eligible to use the logo on their signs, menus, and brochures (Only producers are eligible to place logos on actual products).
FREE ONLINE LISTING
If you have a listing, keeping the information current and providing high-quality images will help you stand out. Click on the Online Listing tab to learn how to update your listing or add/change photos.
WHOLESALE EVENTS/EXHIBITING OPPORTUNITES
Members selling wholesale food and gift items are eligible to participate in the Made in Montana Tradeshow and subsequently, one time attendance as part of the Montana Pavilion at the Billings Regional Market.
Members selling wholesale can also receive a $200 bonus when participating in the Department of Commerce Trade Show Assistance program.
EDUCATION AND BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
If you are interested in building your business, we can help point you in the right direction. Please contact us at any time for tips, ideas, or resources.
The logos may only be used on products having been made, grown, created, or substantially transformed within the state of Montana (and in the case of substantial transformation the value is 50% or more of the individual parts used in the production process).
We encourage you to use them on all your eligible products, packaging, packaging, point of purchase, sales literature, advertising, banners, etc. The more of us using them, the more powerful the logo becomes.
PURCHASING LOGO LABELS AND OTHER COLLATERAL MATERIAL
AlphaGraphics-Bozeman has the exclusive sales contract for logo labels. Their inventory includes the following:
Preprinted logo labels – 4 color in ½”, 1”, 1-3/4”
To purchase any of these products you can order online via the AlphaGraphics Website or contact them directly:
201 East Mendenhall, PO Box 1088
Bozeman, MT 59715
(800) 332-3303 or (406) 587-4508
The Made in Montana/Grown in Montana Program does not reproduce or sell logo products directly to program participants.
ELECTRONIC LOGO USAGE
An electronic version of the logo is available at no charge for members to use for specific, individualized marketing projects. We encourage its use but permission must first be requested through the “Electronic Logo Usage Agreement”.
In no case is the artwork to be reproduced, distributed, or sold as individual logo labels.
OTHER LOGO USAGE
In special circumstance we allow the limited use of the logo or label on a case-by-case basis if it fits the overall spirit and goals of the program for interested parties who are ineligible for the program. For example, a school district serving all Grown in Montana foods for a special celebration could request the logo for signage about the event.
If you are not eligible for the program and have a special request for the logo usage, please contact us.
UPDATING YOUR LISTING INFORMATION
Updating your listing is easy! Just send an email to MadeinMontana@mt.gov with your requested changes. Breaking out by section is easiest.
ADDING OR UPDATING PHOTOS
Including images with your listing is a critical step in getting your listing noticed. You can include up to six images – in JPEG format – up to 2MB each. Make sure they are high-quality and represent your best work.
Good photos are your products, a logo, a shot of you producing your work, or a shot of your storefront or interior. We may edit your photo for clarity. We will not include out of focus, discolored, or inappropriate photographs in online listings or promotional materials.
Before sending us your images, complete a Photo Release Form. This gives us permission to use them on the website.
Email the Release Form and your photos to us at MadeinMontana@mt.gov. Photos must be in JPEG format and no larger than 2MB each. If you would rather, you can give us permission to select photos from your personal website or social media page. In that case, indicate the photos you want us to use.
Made in Montana Program
Send a completed copy of the Release Form and photos to us at:
Montana Department of Commerce
PO Box 200533
Helena, MT 59620-0533
MONTANA/REGIONAL WHOLESALE TRADE SHOWS
The Made in Montana TradeShow, Montana's premier Made in Montana wholesale trade show, takes place annually in Helena.
The Made in Montana program also hosts new exhibitors at the “Montana Pavilion” at the Billings Market Association in February and September. In order to attend with Made in Montana, you must have never exhibited at the Billings Regional Market before, sell wholesale merchandise, and have previously exhibited at the Made in Montana Tradeshow. Information will be sent to qualified participants when applicable.
MONTANA RETAIL/CRAFT SHOWS
Montana hosts many retail shows including arts and craft fairs, Farmers Markets, and home and garden shows. These are great selling opportunities for businesses that aren't ready or don't want to enter the wholesale market but still want to reach buyers.
Search VisitMT.com Event List
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL TRADE SHOWS
Interested in exploring new domestic and international wholesale markets? The Office of Trade & International Relations at the Department of Commerce can assist you. See the Tradeshow Assistance tab, or contact them at 406-841-2783.
BEST PRACTICES AND TRADE SHOW TIPS
Trade shows can be great for business, but they can also be challenging. Our partners at the Department of Agriculture have provided some Trade Show Training & Assistance tips on their website.
More resources can also be found:
Quiz: Are You Ready for Wholesale?
Three Tips for Using Wholesale or Trade Shows to Boost Your Biz
Guide to Wholesale and Trade Shows
TRADESHOW ASSISTANCE PROGRAM OVERVIEW
This program assists Montana based companies in exploring new domestic and international wholesale markets by encouraging first-time exhibition at new trade shows outside of the state. It is not only for companies new to trade show exhibition, but can also be useful for established companies who are looking to exhibit at a show that they have never been to before. It is not intended for a company to use for a trade show at which it has previously exhibited or currently exhibits. The assistance comes in the form of fifty (50) percent reimbursement of qualified and approved expenses for trade show exhibition up to a maximum of $3,000 (including bonus amounts).
- Private-sector, Montana based company providing a Montana based product/service or adding value to a product in Montana.*
- Exhibiting at a business-to-business (wholesale) trade show outside of the state of Montana (USA or international) or participating in the US Commercial Services Gold Key Program.
- First-time exhibition in the specified trade show or if using the Gold Key service, the first time visiting a particular country for business purposes.
- Presents documentation that the trade show is an appropriate venue for the company (include a copy of the exhibitor information including past attendance statistics).
- The Department of Commerce will make the final decision as to a company's eligibility for this program.
* Wood Products businesses are eligible for the Montana Forest Product Marketing & Exhibitor Grant. Visit their website to learn more.
- Booth/space rental or US Commercial Services Gold Key fee.
- Booth equipment, furniture, and carpeting rental.
- Booth utility costs.
- Promotional materials (product flyer specific to show, booth signage, etc.).
- Shipping, storage, drayage (cost of moving freight at exhibition site) and show labor.
* The ONLY eligible expense for companies using the US Commercial Services Gold Key program is the participation fee. No other expenses, including those listed above, will be allowed.
- Expenditures directly related to the operation of the business (staff salaries, printing of generic business brochures and handouts, product samples, general advertising not related to the sales/trade event).
- Transportation, meals and lodging.
APPLICATION & REVIEW PROCESS
Potential participants must complete and return the Trade Show Assistance application with required attachments forty-five (45) days prior to the first day of the trade show. A review panel, consisting of Department of Commerce staff will review applications. To be eligible for reimbursement, written or electronic approval from the Montana Department of Commerce MUST BE received before attending the show. No applications will be considered after an event has occurred.
This program is based on a fifty (50) percent reimbursement of eligible expenses incurred during participation in an approved trade show. Funds are not disbursed until actual receipts are submitted after the event. A company may receive one (1) award per fiscal year (July 1- June 30). The total individual award is limited to 50% of the actual eligible expenditures not to exceed a base amount $2,000 per company. The minimum amount is $500.
A total of up to an additional $1,000 (per award) is possible if the applicant meets the following criteria:
- Registered participant in the Made in Montana program = $200.
- Successful completion of the FastTrak or NxtLevel Entrepreneurial Training Seminar, the MSU/CAE (Creative Arts Enterprise) Training Course, participation in the Business-to-Business Market Coaching Program, or Department of Commerce Export Training (if show is international) = $300.
- The trade show is held outside of the United States = $500 (participants using the US Commercial Services Gold Key program or participating as a member of a Trade Mission/Delegation are not eligible for this bonus amount).
- Department of Commerce Export Training = $300 The business shall function independently in performing the exhibition activity and shall assume sole responsibility of any debts or liabilities that may be incurred in regard to the applied for trade show. The award cannot be assigned.
For reimbursement, the Reimbursement Request and Survey form must be completed in its entirety (with all receipts attached) and submitted to the Department of Commerce within 45 days of the last day of the trade show.
For more information contact:
Office of Trade & International Relations
PO Box 200505 301 S. Park Avenue Helena, MT 596020-0505
Phone: 406-841-2783 Fax: 406-841-2728 TDD: 406-841-2702
Download PDF- GUIDELINES
Download PDF- TRADE SHOW ASSISTANCE APPLICATION
Download WORD- TRADE SHOW ASSISTANCE APPLICATION
Download WORD- REIMBURSEMENT REQUEST and SURVEY